Charles Lockhart was born at the Cairn Heads, near Whithorn, in Wigtownshire, Scotland, August 2, 1818. His father, John Lockhart, was the son of Charles Lockhart, of Ersock, a prosperous farmer and a prominent and influential man in his shire. His mother, Sarah Walker, was the daughter of James Walker, a linen manufacturer of Sorbie, a man of rare business and intellectual qualities. From this ancestry Mr. Lockhart inherited the abilities which made him a prominent factor in the business world. When seven years of age he went to live with an uncle, John Marshall, a merchant at Garliestown, a seaport on Wigtown Bay. He remained with him, with the exception of one year, until he was sixteen years of age, attending school and assisting in the store. Early in 1836 his parents decided to come to America, and, with their family of seven children, reached New York after a voyage of fifty-six days. They came direct to Pittsburgh (then spelled Pittsburg), but shortly after moved to a farm in Trumbull County, Ohio, where, however, they remained but a short time, returning to Pittsburg. Charles Lockhart did not go with his parents to Ohio, but remained in Pittsburg, where he found employment with James McCully, with whom he remained for nineteen years, and in 1855 he became one of the firm of James McCully & Co., the other partner, besides Mr. McCully, being the late Mr. William Frew, who was a nephew of Mr. McCully. This partnership was continued until April 1865, when it was dissolved. It was while a clerk in the store of Mr. McCully that Mr. Lockhart made his first venture in the oil business.
On June 24, 1862, Mr. Lockhart was married to Miss Jane Walker, also a native of Scotland. They had five children, namely: James Henry and John Marshall, who were in business with their father; Janet W., the wife of John R. McCune, of Pittsburg; Martha Frew, the wife of Lee Mason, of Pittsburg; and Sarah Eleanor. Mr. Lockhart cast his first vote with the Whigs in 1840, and had been a Republican since 1856. He belonged to one social organization, the Duquesne Club. He was a church member, connected for a great many years with the United Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh. Click here for reference