Charles Lockhart was born at the Cairn Heads, near Whithorn, in Wigtownshire, Scotland, August 2, 1818. His father, John Lockhart, was the son of Charles Lockhart, of Ersock, a prosperous farmer and a prominent and influential man in his shire. His mother, Sarah Walker, was the daughter of James Walker, a linen manufacturer of Sorbie, a man of rare business and intellectual qualities. From this ancestry Mr. Lockhart inherited the abilities which made him a prominent factor in the business world. When seven years of age he went to live with an uncle, John Marshall, a merchant at Garliestown, a seaport on Wigtown Bay. He remained with him, with the exception of one year, until he was sixteen years of age, attending school and assisting in the store. Early in 1836 his parents decided to come to America, and, with their family of seven children, reached New York after a voyage of fifty-six days. They came direct to Pittsburgh (then spelled Pittsburg), but shortly after moved to a farm in Trumbull County, Ohio, where, however, they remained but a short time, returning to Pittsburg. Charles Lockhart did not go with his parents to Ohio, but remained in Pittsburg, where he found employment with James McCully, with whom he remained for nineteen years, and in 1855 he became one of the firm of James McCully & Co., the other partner, besides Mr. McCully, being the late Mr. William Frew, who was a nephew of Mr. McCully. This partnership was continued until April 1865, when it was dissolved. It was while a clerk in the store of Mr. McCully that Mr. Lockhart made his first venture in the oil business.
On June 24, 1862, Mr. Lockhart was married to Miss Jane Walker, also a native of Scotland. They had five children, namely: James Henry and John Marshall, who were in business with their father; Janet W., the wife of John R. McCune, of Pittsburg; Martha Frew, the wife of Lee Mason, of Pittsburg; and Sarah Eleanor. Mr. Lockhart cast his first vote with the Whigs in 1840, and had been a Republican since 1856. He belonged to one social organization, the Duquesne Club. He was a church member, connected for a great many years with the United Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh. Click here for reference
Thomas M. Howe
Thomas M. Howe was a Representative from Pennsylvania; born in Williamstown, Orange County, Vt., April 20, 1808. In 1817 he moved with his parents to Bloomfield, Ohio where he attended private schools and was later graduated from Warren (Ohio) Academy. In 1829 Tom moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where he served as clerk in a wholesale dry-goods establishment. In 1833 he went into business for himself and was a cashier and president of the Exchange National Bank of Pittsburgh from 1839 to 1859. Tom was engaged in business such as copper mining, copper and steel manufacturing, commercial pursuits, and banking. In 1851 he was elected as a Whig to the Thirty-second and Thirty-third Congresses (March 4, 1851-March 3, 1855). In 1855 Tom resumed his former business pursuits and served as delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1860. He also served as assistant adjutant general on the staff of Governor Curtin and was chairman of the Allegheny County committee for recruiting Union soldiers during the Civil War. Tom was one of the organizers and the first president of the Pittsburgh chamber of commerce. He died in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on July 20, 1877 and is buried in the Allegheny Cemetery which he helped to create. Click here for reference
Thomas Marshall Howe Nimick, Jr.
Mr. Nimick was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on February 22, 1923 at Shadyside Hospital. He was the son of Thomas Nimick and Genevieve Murtland Nimick. He attended school at Shady Side Academy, then St. Paul’s School in Concord, N.H., graduating in 1941. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1943 to 1946 then attended Princeton University graduating with a degree in chemistry in 1948 and received a master’s degree in business from Harvard Business School in 1950.
In the 1950s Mr. Nimick worked for H.J. Heinz Co. and the Shenango Furnace Co. He later founded Norbatrol Electronics Corp. and Tyra Industries Inc., companies he eventually sold. He was also president of Nimick Co., a venture capital firm.
Mr. Nimick served as founder, director and vice president of the Shadyside Hospital Foundation and also served on the board of Shadyside Hospital, now UPMC Shadyside. Mr. Nimick also served on the executive committee of the Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh, the advisory council of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, the executive committee of East Liberty Family Health Center and on various committees for the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. He also was a director emeritus and former committee chair for the Loyalhanna Watershed Association and a longtime member of the PA Environmental Council.
Mr. Nimick passed away on October 4, 2007 and was preceded in death by his wife, Florence who died in 1981. Tom provided funds to establish the Florence Lockhart Nimick Nature Center at Powdermill Nature Reserve. Tom and Florence's three children, Charles "Locky", Vikki and Cathleen "Kit" survive their parents and seek to continue their work and mission.
Florence Lockhart Nimick
Mrs. Nimick was born on January 28, 1934. She was an officer and director of the Home for Crippled Children – now The Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh. Mrs. Nimick shared her passion for the mission of The Children’s Institute with her three children from their earliest ages, and helped to ensure that they would continue her legacy of making a difference at The Children’s Institute and beyond.
Mrs. Nimick was a graduate of Masters School, Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. and also attended The Ellis School, the Broadmoor School in Arizona and Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts.
Mrs. Nimick was a founding member of Carnegie Museum’s Natural History Committee and president of the Ladies’ Association. She was also a member of the Social Service Board at Shadyside Hospital and a trustee of The Ellis School.